Saturday, February 2, 2008

Bangalore Introduction

2/2/08

Hi Everyone,

This is my update to let ya'll know I've made it to India and am getting settled in (in case any of you didn't get the memo, I'm moving to India for 6 months for work).

Bangalore is a big, dirty polluted city, and so far I'm loving it. I love all of the contradictions. The traffic is crazy, with over 10 million people and with no city planning I guess this is what you get. I don't really know why they spend money to paint lines on the road, because it's pretty much a free for all. Lots of rickshaws weaving in and out of congested traffic, scooters with women in beautiful saris riding side saddle, and guys on ox drawn carts filled with fire wood, and then you'll see two cows meandering across 4 lanes of traffic during rush hour. They are so non-phazed (enjoying their privileged status of sacred) that they could decide to lay down and take a nap right there and not have to worry about a thing. It's currently spring turning into summer. The weather is in the high 70s/low 80s and beautiful. However people still think of it as chilly, so you'll see them dress their kids (and sometimes themselves) in thick wool caps and gloves, a very odd site.

My apartment is great, and carries the added benefit of having 5 ladies (who work in part of the space during the day) who bring me home cooked Indian meals for lunch every day. The food is amazing, and of course so many vegetarian spots. You actually have to search out places to eat meat. I'm starting to be appalled that we can only get Naan bread in US indian restaurants, because the different types of bread here are fantastic, and so far in my investigation endless. Yesterday I discovered my local "farmers market". I purchased a huge crimson red pomegranate and a long garland of fresh jasmine, so my room now smells heavenly. For only a few rupees, I'm planning on having fresh flowers every day.

I pretty much have hit the ground running as far as work goes and am in the process of trying to figure out how to set up an office in India. Luckily I have the help of a very sweet, spunky English woman named Sally, who has lived here for the past year and is showing me the ropes. So far I've hired an electrician (who only speaks Kanada, the local language), found office furniture (I would kill for an Ikea here), arranged for phone lines and AC to be installed and am setting up interviews for an office manager. It is definitely a learning process , the bureaucracy is ridiculous, and the idea of showing up on time is non-existent (i'm happy if they show up at all). Ill never complain about any of my friends being late again (you know who you are =). But so far I'm enjoying every minute of it. I still can't really believe I'm working in India. This is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and now I've been given the chance to do it. It's like a dream. I feel very fortunate and blessed to be here and am enjoying the adventure.

I hope all of you are well. Would love to receive emails and hear what's going on in that side of the world. Love ya lots and will send pictures soon.

Best from Bangalore,

Karina

No comments: